Thursday 20 June 2013

Sh*t you should never say to a pregnant woman or new parent

I don't mean to sound like a killjoy, but it's amazing how much nonsense can come out of someone's mouth - especially when it's about a baby.

So off the top of my head and from my own experiences, you should never say these things to an expectant mom or new parent. And I'll be honest - I'm pretty sure I'm NOT the only one thinking this - I'm just the only one vocalizing it!

(And if you do happen to bring up these things ... well, bless your soul.)
You're glowing!
This is such a stereotypical thought. Here's the reality: When a woman is eight months pregnant, she does not feel like a jolly opera singer. She's sweating. Profusely. When she hears that she's "glowing," she's not thinking beauty - she's thinking, "I must look like fatty crap." Just saying "you look great" will suffice.

Why are you still breastfeeding?!
If you don't have kids, you should know this first: According to the World Health Organization, "Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended up to 6 months of age, with continued breastfeeding along with appropriate complementary foods up to two years of age or beyond." When I was nursing, I got a lot of feedback telling me that I should or shouldn't have nursed - it's very frustrating getting mixed messages as a new parent. Just respecting and supporting the parent's actions is doing a lot - no extra comments are necessary.

I've got a ton of other do-not-say phrases, but I think those are good for another day. 

Got more stuff to add to my list? Post below.

4 comments:

  1. Oh you should here the twin comments i used to get lol. I know people mean well but sometimes comments are better left unsaid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this...there are so many more! I was told "you are having a boy because you are getting wider in the back" like wtf?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nuts! Thanks for sharing, Kat. J!
      Part 2 of this post has been requested by many readers, so stay tuned!

      Delete