Wednesday 26 June 2013

Review: Orchard Family Restaurant, Mississauga, Ont.


When I stepped into Orchard Family Restaurant in Cooksville, Mississauga, it immediately reminded me of this scene from Kill Bill: Vol. 2.

Quite simply, it's a stereotypical diner with old-school decor (the business is over 40 years old, I believe), outdated staff uniforms, plus oily all-day breakfast options – I loved it. (It was my birthday, I deserved a bit of guilty pleasure, c'mon!)

Besides those facts, it's a pretty easy-going place to bring a toddler too. We sat in a booth on a raised level after 4:30 pm. If my toddler wanted to wander around, there was opportunity for her to do so without causing us trouble. Note: It was empty when we arrived, but it did get busy after 5:30pm - I noticed at this time how lots of families with young kids started trickling in.

The staff – sporting their '70s restaurant garb – was pretty friendly with kids, and they even gave my daughter a lollipop. Again, if you're looking for a healthy meal, this isn't the place to go. My husband ordered a typical "man" meal with ribs, beans and fries; I got French toast and sausages. We didn't order a kids meal, but my daughter enjoyed sharing French toast with me.

In my husband's words, "you won't find the best-looking, decorated food here, but the prices were great." You get a great deal for large portions. For instance, my husband's man meal was a little over $13, my meal was over $10.

So, if you're driving around and want a quick, greasy bite to eat, Orchard will satisfy your taste buds under kid-friendly conditions. And you'll also be amused by Kill Bill memories. Check out some more family-friendly restaurants here.

No comments:

Post a Comment