Monday 18 November 2013

Review: My trip to Ripley's Aquarium of Canada (Toronto, Ontario)

I'll be honest - I've had some issues writing this review. This is why: at some points, I thought, "OMFG, this aquarium is amazing!" But during other scenarios, this came to mind: "OMFG, I can't believe I brought my three-year-old here!"

So this is a post on MY experience at Ripley's Aquarium of Canada and why I rated this attraction as just okay:
  • My kid was overwhelmed. There was so much to see, she looked at each aquarium for about five seconds. I'm serious. She was bouncing from aquarium to aquarium so quickly, my husband and I had to run to catch up to her. We didn't get decent looks at the gorgeous jellyfish and cool sharks.
  • Not stroller friendly. For some reason, the cafeteria is CRAMMED with tables and chairs to the point where you can't walk between tables and chairs. And bring your own food, something I wish I did! (One slice of pizza is approximately $5!)
  • Playground is not kid-friendly. There playgrounds look fun, but when you watch your toddler climb into them, you can't see her - the structure is closed off. Plus, there are two slides that go in different directions, which means you don't know where your tot is going to end up. There were parents buzzing around the playground saying, "where's my kid? I don't see my kid!"
  • Lots of fun photo ops. Okay, I have to admit here, there are lots of fun ways to take memorable pics of your kids (even selfies - I saw lots of teens do this!). This was ONE place I got my three-year-old to sit still and smile for the camera!
  • You get to touch sharks. C'mon, that's awesome!
  • The walkway is breathtaking. There's a cool walkway that acts like a tunnel with aquatics surrounding you. This is just beautiful. I saw sharks, eels, the whole she-bang. Every kid I saw in the walkway - including my own - was awestruck. 
So final thoughts: I think this would've been more appropriate as a date night for myself and my husband. If you've got an active, overexcited little one ... maybe wait for BOGO deals - if they ever happen. Or wait until your kid is 6 or 7 years old. 
I'm dying to know your thoughts about Ripley's Aquarium - did you think it was worth $30 a pop? How did your kids react? Would you go back?

No comments:

Post a Comment