Tuesday 4 December 2012

Ditch the "Books"

A few people have asked me questions about bringing a baby home. Thinking back, this was the best advice I received from my mom and aunt: DON'T BOTHER WITH THE "BOOKS".

Ok, if you're a taken back by my words, feel free to close your browser and (hopefully) check out my blog another time. Or you can continue reading this post.

I made the mistake of reading The Baby Whisperer when my daughter was a day old. It did remind me that I needed "me" time, however, I thought my baby had a sleeping problem when there wasn't a problem to begin with!

From my experience, you are dumbfounded when you bring home baby - you're not used to breastfeeding (if you choose to do so), plus you're lacking sleep, dealing with poo, the list goes on and on and on. You're just not in the right frame of mind to take in what you read. Just because you read how-to tips doesn't mean you have to do it.

So your best bet? Go with your gut. If you are not comfortable with sleep training, then don't do it. If someone is pressuring you to breastfeed but you know the bottle is the way to go (or vice versa), then follow your heart.




No comments:

Post a Comment