Thursday 13 December 2012

Baby- and tot-related cat anxiety

Before my daughter was born two years ago, my husband and I adopted two sister cats: Patti and Petunia. They were our lovely fur babies that sported pumpkin Halloween costumes all year round.

But when baby came along, our relationship with our cats changed. They began meowing and yowling more; they started chewing on random things like foam play mats, attempted to eat human food and, I must admit, there were unpleasant "litter box" issues.

I've read a lot on how to introduce baby to pet and vice versa. But who has time to bring home a baby blanket from the hospital for the cat or dog to sniff? We're only in the hospital for 24 hours after a birth here in Ontario. And when my daughter began sitting up, getting louder, crawling and walking, those were the times my cats acted up.

Many, many times, I wanted to give them up. I felt like a horrible pet owner; I adopted these sisters as "forever cats," but I just couldn't handle their naughtiness and my daughter's sleepless nights. Luckily, my mom found this link that really opened my eyes to Bach Flower Remedies.  These are "flower essences" that are used in homeopathic practices for humans. However, they can help calm stressful situations for animals, including changes like moving, travel or illness.

So what I use in particular is Bach Rescue Remedy Natural Stress Relief (liquid). All I do is this: About once or twice a day, I put about a dropper full of the remedy into their water dishes, then another dropper full into their food bowl. Honestly, within a few days of use, I found a difference. They were much calmer and playful - they were happy and I felt happy that I didn't have to give them up.

How do I save money here? First off, I found that the Real Canadian Superstore has the cheapest price ($15.99/20mL). I've also been fortunate to have found coupons in natural health magazines and Whole Foods, which take off about $2 or $3. Plus, I'll go to Superstore during no-tax sales to take further advantage of the deal.

Just a quick FYI: this is a method that has worked for me. Luckily, I'm able to find an affordable solution that is healthy for my cats. Like toy shopping, just remember to be safe. If you find an affordable product that's going to sacrifice your pet's health, don't buy it. And if need be, visit your vet for advice.






No comments:

Post a Comment