Wednesday 28 March 2012

Save your emotional energy: Part II

So I think I need to clarify something from my last post, "New parents, save your emotional energy with these coping mechanisms," as it's important to respond to the "Critic" with an open mind. There's no need to plug your ears, give the Critic the middle finger and avoid him or her forever. In fact, I believe it's important to listen to everyone because you never know what you'll learn. From speaking with other moms, I learned how to pack formula when I'm on the go; that it's not the end of the world if I buy jars of baby food; and that a bit of fresh air with your kid really does make a difference.

So before making a decision as to whether or not you're receiving unwanted comments, maybe try this thought process:

-Listen
-Observe if necessary (i.e. diaper changes, playing, etc)
-Ask yourself if the comment actually applies to you
-Then make a decision

Of course, it's easier said than done, but once you get the hang of it, you don't feel stressed when criticism happens. I highly encourage interacting and listening to other moms because you will learn A LOT. I don't know about other moms, but when I first had my daughter, the lack of sleep wasn't allowing me to think rationally. Sometimes a simple piece of advice (i.e. "you need 'me' time!") did (and still does!) positive wonders on me. Quite simply, everyone is entitled to their opinion — it's up to you to decide what to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment