Friday 30 December 2011

Two words: Discounted toys

Toys. We gotta love 'em yet we gotta hate 'em for their costs. Needless to say, my mommy group and I have had quite a journey in toy shopping. Here's my two cents on the topic: Toys R Us/Babies R Us and Walmart aren't too bad for prices, but the best places for toy shopping are thrift stores (think Goodwill and Value Village). I've mentioned this to a few other moms and I've gotten some "interesting" looks from them. (And maybe they don't think their dirty looks are being expressed, but c'mon, that stink eye is kinda obvious!)

In honesty, you have to think of toys like this: how long is the baby going to play with them? So if you're paying over $80 for an exersaucer that's only going to last for a few months ... isn't that such a waste on money?! Plus, it's not like I'm giving my daughter a dusty toy off a store shelf - I do wash the dickens out of them (hello, bulk tubs of Lysol wipes from Costco). Another good way to save money on toys is by checking out garage sales too. Last summer, we bought a Graco baby swing (only used twice!), a trike, some books and small toys for a total of... $35! (Don't mean to sound cocky, but are you jealous yet?)

Another good way of saving a few bucks on toys is by borrowing them. I didn't have to spend money on an Evenflo exersaucer because I borrowed it - thank goodness for that, my daughter hates all exersaucers anyway! A friend of mine actually swaps baby toys with other moms, so that's another option if you know other moms. I have also been open to accepting hand-me-down toys from other children who have recently outgrown them.

So next, you're probably wondering if I really do have bragging rights. Well, here are a few lucky purchases by myself and my mom, so you be the judge. (Excuse the photog quality, photos were taken on my phone!)

VTech Sing Along Microphone - $0.25 at a local garage sale; I saw it last year at Walmart for $12 or $13.

Little Tykes Discover Sounds Kitchen - $3.99 at Value Village (without the play food and dishes); regular $39.99 at Babies R Us.

Shrek Laugh With Me Baby Girl - $6.99 at Value Village (still in the original package, never opened); regular $18.99 on Toy Store Inc.

Little Tykes Cozy Coupe Car - $6 at Goodwill; regular US$49.99 on littletykes.com



VTech Rhyme and Discover Book - $3 at Goodwill; regular $21.99 at Babies R Us


No comments:

Post a Comment