Saturday 24 December 2011

Free formula...seriously

Sure, having a baby has its highlights, but let's face the elephant in the room here: going on mat leave is super taxing on family funds. According to Service Canada, "For most people, the basic rate for calculating EI benefits is 55% of your average insurable weekly earnings, up to a maximum amount." So when you think about it, that's a pretty serious cut in salary. And when you have to buy diapers, wipes, clothes, etc, wow... well, enough said there.


So while I was preggers during 2010, a friend of mine suggested I sign up to a bunch of companies for free product samples. I'll be honest: I was hesitant at first, especially when I saw the free stuff Nestle was offering at the time: a one-shoulder-strapped diaper bag, canned and hospital-ready formula, rice cereal samples, decaf coffee samples. I said to my girlfriend, "uh...are they going to charge me for shipping?! I don't want to be left with a bill for postage!" But she reassured me that it was completely free. So I signed up; weeks later, I picked up my package in the mail and I felt like a kid on Christmas day as I unzipped my bag of freebies. Then I signed up with Similac and Enfamil, and before my daughter was born in November, I received formula from both of these companies in the mail. By then I had about three containers of formula, two sets of ready-to-feeds and two cans of lactose-free formula. 


Flash forward to five months later: I decide to go to the Baby Time Show at the International Centre and I left with four containers of formula from Nestle and Similac. It wasn't easy though - you had to listen to useless pitches and I made my mom line up separately so we could get more. But hey, totally worth it. Then to my surprise, I started receiving more packages of free formula from Nestle, Similac and Enfamil, promoting new packaging and new products. 


In the end, I didn't have to pay for formula until my daughter was 11 months old! My mommy brain is a little foggy, but I do recall storing approximately 13 containers of formula, 2 six-packs of ready-to-feeds and 4 cans of lactose-free formula in my cupboard. 


However, here's why this worked for me:
  • My daughter didn't have any milk allergies
  • I decided to continue nursing and used formula for supplementation
So although I was able to save money this way, it may not work for all. But if you're an expectant mom, try this tactic out. And if your baby can't take the formulas, I highly recommend donating them to a food bank or passing them to another new mom. 










No comments:

Post a Comment