Saturday 23 February 2013

Family restaurant review: Rainforest Cafe, Yorkdale Shopping Centre, Toronto

If you've been following my blog, you know that I've written about family-friendly restaurants. Well, my husband, two-year-old daughter and I ventured to Yorkdale Shopping Centre to dine at the Rainforest Cafe. So what's my rating as a new mom? Thumbs down. Here's why:
  • Pricing: Two tiny hot dogs and fries from the kids' menu is $7.99 - what does that tell you? The only reason we went to the Rainforest Cafe was because we had a $5-off coupon when you spend over $20. 
  • Thunderstorms: Every 15 minutes, a rainforest "thunderstorm" takes place. This either makes or breaks your kid, thereby affecting the whole dinner experience. Initially, my daughter got scared but she calmed down when the other storms happened. That's how she reacted though; you may have a different experience.
  • The gorillas: There's a display of gorillas that's supposed to move every 15 minutes. First off, they look kinda creepy. My husband was with my daughter when they moved and he said they banged their chests. This creeped out my daughter more and she refused to go near those damn gorillas again. 
  • The staff: Very, very, very disorganized staff. I only saw my server a few times; thank goodness we brought some extra food for my daughter. We had to wait over 20 minutes to order, then we waited about another 30 minutes for the food to arrive. Not great for antsy tots.
  • Safety: Because it's a very interactive restaurant, there are kids running around everywhere. Playing tag. Trying to touch stuff. Wrestling. Pair that with staff holding trays of food and it's frustrating just trying to get to the bathroom.
Have you been to this restaurant? What did you think? How did your little ones react?

No comments:

Post a Comment