Wednesday 24 October 2012

As a stay-at-home-mom ...

I've had people say how I have time to do extra things (organize parties, discover new hobbies, etc) because ... well, I'm "at home."

Being a SAHM (stay-at-home-mom) can be such a stereotypical role. Not to say that I don't enjoy being a SAHM, but there are good days and not-so-good days. Or maybe it's just my kid, who's so darn energetic.

Honestly, I do not watch Coronation Street all day with a bowl of bonbons. There's absolutely no time for that, let alone me having a quick snack. Do you know how long it can take to dress a baby or toddler in full outdoor gear? By the time you've gotten a onesie, shirt and pants on the kid, sometimes you're ready to give up! (See one of my fave clips from A Christmas Story.)

I'm not writing this entry to rant (okay, maybe I am just a smidge), but there is a lesson here.

If you get comments about how being a stay-at-home-parent is an easy, good ol' vacation, here's what you can do: Look at the person's lifestyle or stage in life. If a Samantha Jones or Vinnie Chase is making the comment, he or she obviously doesn't know any better, right? I used to get worked up when people made these comments. This may sound cheesy, but being in the other person's shoes does make a difference. So when I'm told that I have all the time in the world to knit a scarf, I just smile, stay silent and take a few minutes to "role play" in that critic's mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment