Saturday 27 July 2013

Don't say these 3 things to a pregnant woman

Remember my post, "Sh*t you should never say to a pregnant woman or new parent?" Well, here's another follow-up, which focuses on your pregnant friend or colleague. So whatever you do, don't say these things to her:

Mistake #1: Compare her size to another pregnant woman's size
Would you go to someone and say, "how come you're tall and she's short?" or vice versa? Exactly. Each pregnant woman looks different and feels different. And sometimes, if not all the time, a pregnant woman will feel out of sorts with her body changes. So if you've ever told her that she doesn't look normal or she's way too thin for being pregnant, I'm surprised your ass hasn't been kicked yet.

Mistake #2: Giving her your honest opinion on name choices
First off, you're very lucky that the expectant mom has revealed to YOU her name choices. I wasn't comfortable telling anyone about my name choices. But when you open your mouth and say, "ewwww," "are you kidding me?!" or "isn't that the same name of that bully from Grade 5?" You're literally putting a damper on that mom's dreams. I'm not kidding! Politely saying, "neat, thanks for sharing!" will suffice.

Mistake #3: Telling her she better think about socializing the baby
A pregnant woman already has lots to think about: mat leave, preparing the nursery, packing a hospital bag and scheduling doctor visits. Why add this comment/concern to her to-do list when the baby's not even born yet? Keeping your mouth shut about socialization will do you and the expectant mother some good, trust me.

Did I miss anything? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment